[Milton-L] Abdiel, hypocrisy, temptation

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Fri Jun 27 15:03:21 EDT 2008

Patricia Stewart asks, ³does being tempted itself denigrate the tempted?²

Aren¹t there two meanings of ³being tempted²? Jesus was externally tempted
by Satan in PR, but I suppose he was not internally tempted. He was then not
soiled or denigrated. I would return to the point about bad ideas or
impulses needing to be judged and rejected by the reason. If they are not
approved, as Adam says, there is no ³spot or blame.² One might be made
stronger by the experience, as opposed to maintaining a fugitive and
cloistered virtue. In Comus, the Lady says, ³Thou canst not touch the
freedom of my mind² (663), freedom for Milton consisting in the exercise of
right reason. So she is externally tempted but does not approve the wrong
thought.

Patricia also refers to ³soiling.² In the case of the Lady, it seems that
she was soiled in some sense, in that Sabrina performs what looks like a
ritual of purification. I take this to be an external soiling that does not
impugn her moral purity. Perhaps it analogous (at a less intense level) to
being raped. Obviously such an experience would alter a person, as Ann Coiro
suggests Abdiel has been altered. It would not lower a person¹s moral
stature.

Michael