[Milton-L] Abdiel and Treason law

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Fri Jun 27 13:17:11 EDT 2008

Alice,
One small point: a further connection between the similes about Satan and
the angels' paradox about God's appearance is the phrase "the excess of
glory obscured" at 1.593-94. Also there are two similes of Satan, and in one
the sun is clouded rather than eclipsed. Forms of "dark" and "bright" appear
in both descriptions. Good get!

. . . he above the rest
In shape and gesture proudly eminent [ 590 ]
Stood like a Towr; his form had yet not lost
All her Original brightness, nor appear'd
Less then Arch Angel ruind, and th' excess
Of Glory obscur'd: As when the Sun new ris'n
Looks through the Horizontal misty Air [ 595 ]
Shorn of his Beams, or from behind the Moon
In dim Eclips disastrous twilight sheds
On half the Nations, and with fear of change
Perplexes Monarchs. Dark'n'd so, yet shon
Above them all th' Arch Angel. . . .

Thanks to John Leonard for explaining about the natal eclipse of Charles II.
It does give the passage a subversive cast.

Alice, I think Milton believed divine and human kingship are unrelated, so
political and theological treason would be radically different. Divine
kingship is based on the ontological difference between omniscient creator
and limited creature (angel or human). The basis of theological treason
would be ingratitude. Gratitude would be the natural response of a rational
creature (as we see in newborn Adam's thoughts), and obedience would follow
from gratitude. These notions are based on my reading of Milton. I'm not
qualified to address your question about Augustine.

Michael