[Milton-L] Abdiel and Treason law

Alice Crawford Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Fri Jun 27 12:03:10 EDT 2008

John,
"Dark with excessive bright thy skirts appear" comes to mind.  I am
wondering about the problem of treason in what I am taking to be a
subtle echo of the simile of eclipse.  What do you and others think?
(Is this, in III, also a gesture toward the necessity of the guide,
Beatrice, in Dante?)

(An aside on what is motivating my posting, in a broader sense: the
conundrum Satan as king / God as king...  How does the reader
distinguish between political and theological allegories?)

Although there is a world of difference between a sun eclipsed and
clouded, there is a connection between these two passages, I believe.
Satan is likened to the sun in your example, God with the sun in mine.
Is the eclipse of the sun as a mock-heroic Satan perhaps less an icon
of regicide than it might be a comment on the failures and injustices
of the oppressive rule that follows regicide?  I am thinking of this in
general, but also have in mind parallels in the Levellers' petitions
regarding Cromwell's failure produce a writ of habeas corpus, or its
like, in arresting and imprisoning his opponents.

How would you and others on the list reconcile treason in its aspect as
mock-epic and militaristic with its theological dimension?  I am
thinking of Augustine's influence on Milton, particularly the crisis at
the midpoint of the Confessions as well as passages in the City of God,
where salvation can depend on the manner of contemplation.  (I see that
your immediately relevant reference to Augustine would be "The fallen
angels are those who turned away from God to everlasting night" - p.
109 of your book - a phrase that unites my two lines of inquiry.)  I am
wondering what you and others, particularly Richard Strier, Michael
Gillum, Carol Barton, Peter Herman, Jameela Lares, Jim Rovira and the
admirably concise and ingenious Kim Maxwell think about Augustine and
contemplation in relation to theological treason.  Particularly
Augustinian, in my opinion, is Milton's view of the necessity to plead
for grace in order to have the strength to align one's will with God's.
  In this sense it is theological treason to take matters into one's own
hands without first consulting divine authority.  Are divine and
secular authority at odds, then, finally?

Although I believe this next comment is easily resolved on page 97 and
pages 248-250 of your book, I will note it anyway; I can see that there
are moments when the imagery has double meanings.  Fowler's footnote to
V 700-714, for example has:

"The passage partly depends on our knowledge of a long-established
symbolism whereby the morning star represented both Satan and
Christ..." - is Milton's perhaps not a reference to Christ but an
objection to church hierarchies?  I see, of course, that you touch on
this in saying "Satan's crime is that he declares for night when the
Son is about to rise" (p. 107 of your book).

Please forgive the fragmentary quality of this response.  I am sending
it unedited for fear of going on too long and in an exceedingly
ignorant fashion.

I cannot say strongly enough how enriching it has been reading the
postings on treason, from the political references to the painstakingly
transcribed passages from CD.  What fun, this list!
Alice Berghof