[Milton-L] Abdiel

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Fri Jun 27 09:12:14 EDT 2008

Yet another approach is through genre, in that the actions of epic
characters need to be motivated and explainable. I think most of the
"cracks" in PL can be understood as resulting from the strain of translating
from the genre of myth to the genre of epic. Milton's translations are
ingenious, and the process seems to liberate his imagination. But explaining
or rationalizing one detail of the Genesis story tends to open up cracks
somewhere else.