[Milton-L] Abdiel

Peter C. Herman herman2 at mail.sdsu.edu
Thu Jun 26 18:37:18 EDT 2008

At 01:59 PM 6/26/2008, you wrote:
>Some Thoughts
>
>1.  M. Bell argues for a fallen state before falling on an explicit
>argument from cause.  Any argument that attributes a causal chain to
>Adam's act, as she rightfully points out, must take us back to
>God.  She does not reject causal explanations, but she should
>have.  Causal chains are descriptions, not explanations.  If God
>caused the fall, the poem makes almost no sense.

Well, it makes a different kind of sense. If you assume, as many on
this list do, that Milton could not possibly think anything negative
about God, then yes, the poem will make almost no sense. But if you
change the governing assumption (or the interpretive paradigm), then
other possibilities arise.

To quote a line from Blake that Joseph Wittreich is fond of, the eye
altering alters all

Peter C. Herman