[Milton-L] Abdiel

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Jun 26 16:39:04 EDT 2008

Carol, Eve responds to the temptation in the dream because it appeals to her
weak spot, which is not being wholeheartedly reconciled to (or confident
in?) her secondary position. However, her response, as Adam says, is not
sinful because she doesn¹t ³approve² it once she becomes rationally
conscious. Rather, she is distressed because it was a dream of ³offense and
trouble² (5.34). She is glad to learn it is just a dream. So this is a good
example of the process of rationally judging a wrong thought to be wrong.
Had she kept the dream a secret and treasured the excitement of
transgression, then it might have been an example of sinful thought that
would involve ³spot or blame.²

Michael