[Milton-L] Abdiel and Treason law

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Jun 26 11:07:23 EDT 2008

Thanks to everyone so far for a really stimulating and informative
discussion. More to come, I hope.

Todd Butler notes that the exact situation of Sin's birth is at the assembly
called by Satan on arriving in the North. On reflection, I was wrong to say
that Satan has taken no overt action before Sin's birth. He openly incites
his followers to revolt and reject God's authority (5.785-90). I'd consider
that an action.

Obviously, the discussion of treason law connects here in that Satan is
committing a form of treason. Other threads of the discussion would connect
in that we wonder whether Satan's fall was irrevocable back when (or before)
he woke Beelzebub to start the revolt in motion.

Can Sin's birth be placed exactly in the narrative? Since it isn't mentioned
in the narrative of the assembly in Book 5, it would seem to occur after
Abdiel's departure, but that seems too late to be allegorically appropriate.
Perhaps, since the allegory of Sin is  ontologically different from the epic
narrative, Milton didn't want to mix them and so left the chronology vague.

Michael