[Milton-L] Abdiel, reflection, etc.

ann coiro annbaynes.coiro at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 19:46:22 EDT 2008

Richard,

I think Abdiel has been disfigured by the kind of moralizing you
present here. I am arguing that we see how really interesting he is.

Sloppy reading--Abdiel clearly has an interior monologue; he
"explores' his "undaunted heart"; he "ponders" (see VI, 113; 127).
Whether you approve or not, Milton shows his characters in interior
reflection only after they have grappled with evil. I have found the
discussion on this list about what it means to be fallen fascinating.
I think Jason Kerr's ideas about Milton's complicated
self-presentation in Book XII sound exactly right. What Abdiel has
done is experience evil, grapple with it, and walk away. But he will
always be different from all the other angels in heaven. And I stand
by my description of his argument with Satan--he can't stand up to him
logically. It is a fascinating exchange.

As to adopting other critics blindly--I have learned to be deeply
respectful of all the people who have written on Milton. I have
learned from them, I'm grateful, and I stand on my own.

Ann