[Milton-L] Horton?

FLANNAGAN, ROY ROY at uscb.edu
Wed Jun 25 16:20:53 EDT 2008

Hello, Kemmer!

Horton is within sight of Eton, which has helped biographers including Anna Beer sight-in Milton's relationship with Eton's Provost Henry Wotton.  When the early Milton Symposium crowd went there, including Stella Revard and her mother, we were allowed to see the entry in the church record for the death of Milton's mother, who is buried in the chancel.  But the town, though pretty and then not overcrowded with commuters or tourists, does not define the word "hortus," that I could see.  I do remember greenhouses with jasmine in them.

Roy Flannagan