[Milton-L] Abdiel

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Wed Jun 25 14:51:34 EDT 2008

Carol, I take Adam's "so" to mean "so long as" or "if," which was an extant
sense: "So [long as it is] unapproved." Or "so" could be intensive; Hughes
glosses "condemned so positively." Either way, wrong ideas can come to
consciousness from the fancy (Eve's dream), from an external source (the
serpent), or perhaps some wayward impulse, and that's OK, so long as they
are rejected on reflection.

Conversely, in Satan's monologues, right ideas keep intruding on his
consciousness, and he keeps rejecting them.

Michael