[Milton-L] Abdiel

Peter C. Herman herman2 at mail.sdsu.edu
Wed Jun 25 13:28:46 EDT 2008

I do not have the precise referents at hand, but I wonder if the
changes in early modern treason law might be applicable to this
discussion. If I am remembering correctly, the law was changed to
include "compassing" the king's death. In other words, whereas all
other crimes required a guilty act and a guilty intention, treason
required only a guilty intention. Simply thinking about it was enough
for conviction. Perhaps that is the case in PL as well. Sin may not
necessarily involve an act: merely "approving" would be enough.

pch