[Milton-L] travel in London

Chernaik, Warren warren.chernaik at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 25 07:47:50 EDT 2008

Dear all,
I thought I'dsend a general email following up recent ones by Jason Kerr, Stella Revard, and others. If you are traveling in London, there is a savings of 50% or more if you buy an Oyster Card. You can buy them for £10 or £15 (or less) at any tube station or elsewhere, and you can then travel for reduced rates on bus, underground, and overground trains. When the money runs out, you can top up the card for any amount you want. Tube trains and buses in London are fairly efficient, and as Stella and Jason said, the tube from Heathrow (Piccadilly Line) is much the cheapest way to get to central London, though shared cabs can cut the cost of a taxi. Taxis within London are fairly expensive, and fares double at night. The Heathrow Express to Paddington is fast and comfortable, not too expensive, but then you have to get from Paddington to wherever you need to be in London, where the underground will deliver you to your destination. There are plenty of good inexpensive restaurants in central London--Chinese, Thai, Italian, Greek, Indian. Near Senate House/British Museum, Tas (Turkish) and Paradiso (Italian) are both good. Lunch will be provided each day for those speaking and chairing sessions that day, but we can't manage 250 lunches. Here too there are plenty of places nearby to get a sandwich in the lunch break. Hope to see you there.
Best wishes,
Warren