[Milton-L] to James Rovira re irony

Alice Crawford Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Wed Jun 25 02:25:06 EDT 2008

Wow, perhaps too much for the week before IMS9...  Just a few quick

On the first point: there is evidence in PL for Satan as a continuum
from pure negation ("evil be thou my good") to carefully wrought
political allegory that exceeds the scope of mock-epic and becomes
disillusionment with Cromwell.  In the middle of the continuum would be
an attack on vain philosophy or pure logic without faith (could also be
taken in a Ramist sense).  Given the importance of the political
allegories in PL and elsewhere, I tend to find that the Romantics
misread Satan.  For purposes of our discussion, I see his irony in the
relationship between his tropes and Eve's in IX.

2nd point, on Hegel: Milton trumps and anticipates Hegel by requiring
the post-Interregnum (as opposed to generically Restoration) reader to
distinguish as well as mediate between an abstract idea and the
emissary of or lens on that idea, something Hegel cannot allow.  I
don't know if we need Kierkegaard in order to see that Milton is doing
this.  However, I find your interest in Kierkegaard and Hegel to be
fascinating.

On reflective thought: speech act taxonomy seems in order there.  Would
dovetail with what you are saying.

Last point is covered in first, via political allegory as a caveat to
Satan as pure negativity.  The interesting thing about your last
paragraph, to me, is the Augustinian redolence of moving toward
goodness as the opposite of privation (Manichaeism, etc...).

I think the bottom line is that I am studying genre and rhetoric at the
moment and find my brain in Gordian knots when I attempt psychological
or even character-oriented analyses in PL.  It's a balancing act
between giving real force to the humanity of Edenic freedom, on the one
hand, and humility in the face of making postmodern or even modern the
voices that to me define early modern lyric and tragic modes of speech.
  The rest off-list.  I fear our exchange exceeds the scope of the
venue.
Alice