[Milton-L] Abdiel

Alice Crawford Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Tue Jun 24 21:24:38 EDT 2008

I think we can consider Adam and Eve fully developed subjectivities,
even in a Kierkegaardian sense, and equally imbued with will, but
reflecting two different rhetorical registers of motivation for failing
to align their wills with God's.  These registers can be set against
Satan's in terms if Kierkegaardian irony.  Eve's motivation emerges in
the form of prosopopoeia in the present moment (the fruit solicits her
longing eye - this is from memory...), Adam's in proleptic, lyric
lament before the fact.  Back to my fallen powerpoint.  Hope to meet
you in London.
Alice Berghof