[Milton-L] Abdiel

Jason Kerr aelfric at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 19:50:50 EDT 2008

See also John Tanner's response to Bell in _Anxiety in Eden_.

Jason A. Kerr

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Peter C. Herman <herman2 at mail.sdsu.edu>
wrote:

> See Millicent Bell, "The Fallacy of the Fall in Paradise Lost," PMLA, Vol.
> 68, No. 4 (Sep., 1953), pp. 863-883.
>
> Peter C. Herman
>

> At 03:13 PM 6/24/2008, you wrote:
>
>> From: Michael Gillum:
>>
>>> I guess Eve and Adam are "falling" rather than fallen or unfallen at the
>>> time of their interior monologues-- as James Watt says, the categories
>>> have
>>> a blurred zone between them.
>>>

>> Falling but not fallen?  Then is being tempted the same as being sinful?
>> Abdiel is tempted, rejects the arguments presented to him, and returns to
>> God as an unfallen angel.  Adam is sin free until he--willingly and
>> knowingly--disobeys God and commits himself to Eve whatever the
>> consequences.  Whether Eve really knows what she is doing--after all, she is
>> confused by Satan's rhetoric plus she is hunger--I think is debatable.  But
>> to argue that they are--before eating--in a state of falling is to argue
>> that being tempted is wrong and harmful. Such a conclusion means that Eve
>> was wrong in separating from Adam and that Adam was wrong to let her go and
>> that God was wrong to let Satan reach the Earth.

The purpose of poetry is to remind us
how difficult it is to remain just one person,
for our house is open, there are no keys in the doors,
and invisible guests come in and out at will.

—Czeslaw Milosz, from "Ars Poetica?"