[Milton-L] Abdiel

Patricia Stewart pstewart at uga.edu
Tue Jun 24 18:13:30 EDT 2008

From: Michael Gillum:
>I guess Eve and Adam are "falling" rather than fallen or unfallen at the
> time of their interior monologues-- as James Watt says, the categories
> have
> a blurred zone between them.

Falling but not fallen?  Then is being tempted the same as being sinful?
Abdiel is tempted, rejects the arguments presented to him, and returns to
God as an unfallen angel.  Adam is sin free until he--willingly and
knowingly--disobeys God and commits himself to Eve whatever the
consequences.  Whether Eve really knows what she is doing--after all, she is
confused by Satan's rhetoric plus she is hunger--I think is debatable.  But
to argue that they are--before eating--in a state of falling is to argue
that being tempted is wrong and harmful. Such a conclusion means that Eve
was wrong in separating from Adam and that Adam was wrong to let her go and
that God was wrong to let Satan reach the Earth.