[Milton-L] Abdiel

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Jun 24 15:36:34 EDT 2008

Incidentally, I thought Coiro's review was well done except that I was
puzzled by this section. I wonder if there are other interior monologues by
unfallen characters in the poem besides Abdiel's at 6.114.

About Abdiel following Satan initially: Satan instructed Beelzebub to "Tell
them that by command I am to haste. . . homeward. . . there to prepare fit
entertainment. . ." (5.685-90).  So Satan's followers thought they were
following God's orders. It's true that Beelzebub cast "ambiguous words and
jealousies" (5.703) among his orders to the sub-commanders, but no telling
whether these reached Abdiel.

Michael