[Milton-L] Abdiel

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 24 12:35:06 EDT 2008

AbdielOn the other hand: the concept of the "one just man" is central to Milton's theology; presumably, even angels think (so why is an interior monologue necessarily indicative of a fallen state?); Milton *was* trying to convey the allegiances and interaction of the characters to us, the fallen nonpsychic; and Satan's "brilliant" oratory is a characteristic of his "bad eminence" (particularly in the context of the temptation of Eve).

Sorry for the run-on sentence, written on the fly, but that's my initial "take" on the comment. I'd have to see it in context, to understand the basis for it.

Best to all,

Carol Barton