[Milton-L] IMS9 travel

Jason Kerr aelfric at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 19:14:56 EDT 2008

I know the travel conditions might be less ideal, and the journey not as
fast, but the Piccadilly Line of the Tube runs from Heathrow to Russell
Square or King's Cross for £4—less if you have an Oyster card. Granted, if
you're getting in at midnight, it's not an option. Maybe I'm just spoiled
living in Boston (or broke being a grad student), but I'll take public
transportation whenever possible. Economical, and environmentally friendly,
and if you would prefer not to walk with bags, the final cab ride would at
least be cheaper than from Paddington.

See you all in London!

Jason A. Kerr

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Julia Walker <walker at geneseo.edu> wrote:

> Actually, the train thing has gotten a bit pricey -- £14.50 one way,
> tourist.  It's a wonderful convenience at the airport, true, but when you
> get to Paddington, you still have to stand in line and pay for a cab.  The
> last two times I took one from Paddington to Gower St, just across from UCL,
> it was over £11, exclusive of tip.  So, even if you aren't getting in at
> midnight (when all cabs cost more) you might want to weigh math &
> convenience.  Ladycabs quoted me £40 for pick-up at Heathrow 3.
> julia
>
> On Jun 23, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Noam Flinker wrote:
>
> The London Express from Heathrow to Paddington is, in addition to
> everything else, elegant and comfortable.  You might save money by sharing a
> cab but not necessarily. In any case, the trip to Paddington is smooth,
> relaxing and most soothing, especially after a transatlantic flight that
> brings you into London in the morning when your biological clock is
> convinced it's the middle of the night.  The cab ride from Paddington to the
> University of London should be fairly short but I don't know about cost.
> Noam
> On Jun 23, 2008, at 9:29 PM, Robert Appelbaum wrote:
>
> Dear American Friends,
>
> Heathrow is served by a train that will get you into the city centre
> quicker than any cab can do.  Take the train!  Save fuel!  Go really
> green! You can get a cab from the train station (Paddington) to your hotel.
>
> *duran0 <duran0 at purdue.edu>* wrote:
>
> Thanks to Julia Walker for that information.
>
> Her email spurred me to see if a few of us arriving at about the same time
> would like to share a cab.  I arrive at London Heathrow Airport on Monday,
> July 7th, at about 6:00 AM and am happy to wait around for anyone who lands
> as late as 7:00 AM.
>
> Please email me OFF LIST if you would like to coordinate where to meet at
> the airport and sharing a cab to U of London residences, which seems to be a
> 19 mile/35 minute ride.  I/We can check on the taxi cab fares (looking at
> the list we all just got, too!) and split it two or three ways, depending on
> how many arrive at about the same time.
>
> Fingers crossed...
>
> Adios,
>
> Angelica Duran
> Associate Professor, English and Comparative Literature
> Purdue University
> 500 Oval Drive / Heavilon Hall
> West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
> U.S.A.
> <duran0 at purdue.edu>
> <http://www.cla.purdue.edu/english/directory/index.cfm?personid=80><http://www.cla.purdue.edu/english/directory/index.cfm?personid=80>

> Robert Appelbaum
> Department of English and Creative Writing
> Lancaster University
> Lancaster, LA1 4YT
>
> www.robertappelbaum.com
>
> or
>
> http://www.lancs.ac.uk/users/english/staff/appelbaum.htm

> Prof. Noam Flinker
> [...]

The purpose of poetry is to remind us
how difficult it is to remain just one person,
for our house is open, there are no keys in the doors,
and invisible guests come in and out at will.

—Czeslaw Milosz, from "Ars Poetica?"