[Milton-L] being not over-exquisite

Julia Walker walker at geneseo.edu
Mon Jun 23 10:57:32 EDT 2008

People who are going to London,

I was looking on line for a woman-owned cab company to pick me up
from LHR (midnight arrival = luxury of a cab) and I found a GREEN cab
company with women drivers -- er, _lady_ drivers, in retro Brit-
speak.  It's almost too much, even for me, but why not?   Then alas!
Although some green minicabs advertise women drivers, none has one at
the moment.  (The under-representation of women in the cab-driving
profession is a blot on the social landscape of the UK.)

So, being unable to go green and fem simultaneously, I'm going fem.
I include a list of each in case any of you wishes socially-
responsible airport transport.  (If you book green, do ask for a
woman driver.  Perhaps it will motivate their HR depts.)

support women:

http://ladyminicabs.co.uk/  (no eco-option, but all women and a good
web-booking service)

Here are two all-women companies, but you have to join -- just takes
a minute and very little £ on their websites.

http://www.pinkladiesmembers.co.uk/london/
http://www.wheels4women.co.uk/index.html

support the environment:

http://www.climatecars.com/   No women at the moment, but VERY
green.  They offer free water in bottles made from cornstarch with
the profits going to water projects in Africa.  Really.

http://greentomatocars.com/

http://ecoigo.com/  -- green but no women drivers at present

http://www.radiotaxis.co.uk/  (claims to be carbon-neutral, but
nothing about women)