[Milton-L] Bible as lit

Robert Appelbaum r_appel at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 17:19:33 EDT 2008

I am wondering what it means to suggest that Sternberg's book is 'written from a "Zionist" perspective, arguably.'  Do you mean, written from a 'Jewish' perspective, an 'Israeli' perspective, or from the point of view of the ideology of the Jewish people's right to a homeland in Palestine, come what may?  And why is 'Zionist' in scare quotes?  Either you mean what you say or you don't; scare quotes don't change that.

Alan Rudrum <alanrudrum at gmail.com> wrote:  I think that some things that might seem unrelated might be related; e.g. the question of whether Christopher Hill was a Soviet mole, and if so whether he was an unwitting one or whether he knew he was one, may well be relevant to Milton scholarship and is certainly relevant to 17th century historical studies generally.   The Bible as Literature also seems to me relevant to Milton Studies, and I would like to mention a book that I think has not been cited by previous respondents: that is Meier Sternberg, The Poetics of Biblical Narrative, Bloomington, 1985.   Written from a "Zionist" perspective, arguably, but, e.g. his account of the David and Bathsheba story seems to me superb.  In my view, he is to  the Hebrew Scriptures what Rowan Williams is to Christian theology - not easy reading always, but very very intelligent.

Alan Rudrum