[Milton-L] Bible as lit

butlert at mail.wsu.edu butlert at mail.wsu.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:20:12 EDT 2008

I can pass along one piece of conceptual advice that a friend who taught
in religious studies said to me some time ago.

Closely paraphrasing it was "You teach courses where students assume they
don't know anything and will find it hard. I teach courses where many
students come in certain that they already know the answers and that it
therefore will be easy."

Initially we joked about it, but the more we discussed our differing
experiences the more we found it to be an important difference. It's of
course a generalization, but it might be particularly true if Purdue
doesn't have a religious studies department or series of courses.

Best,
Todd

Todd Butler
Buchanan Assistant Professor