[Milton-L] Bible as lit

Alan Rudrum alanrudrum at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:25:55 EDT 2008

I think that some things that might seem unrelated might be related; e.g.
the question of whether Christopher Hill was a Soviet mole, and if so
whether he was an unwitting one or whether he knew he was one, may well be
relevant to Milton scholarship and is certainly relevant to 17th century
historical studies generally.   The Bible as Literature also seems to me
relevant to Milton Studies, and I would like to mention a book that I think
has not been cited by previous respondents: that is Meier Sternberg, The
Poetics of Biblical Narrative, Bloomington, 1985.   Written from a "Zionist"
perspective, arguably, but, e.g. his account of the David and Bathsheba
story seems to me superb.  In my view, he is to  the Hebrew Scriptures what
Rowan Williams is to Christian theology - not easy reading always, but very
very intelligent.

Alan Rudrum