[Milton-L] Bible as lit

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Fri Jun 13 09:00:12 EDT 2008

.>
>I am sending Angelica some of my stuff by attachment, but I'll say to everyone
>that I've had good luck with Leland Ryken's WORDS OF DELIGHT

Two anthologies I've mined for handouts and ideas to challenge students are "Congregation" and "Incarnation" - the first has invited essays on Hebrew Scripture by a variety of poets, novelists, etc. and the second the same for "Christian Scripture."

I've also used some of the translation in "The Book of J" to show students that the monovocal diction of standard translations like the NRSV etc masks the voices in the Bible - I also use Alter's "Five Books of Moses" when he more clearly represents puns and wordplay than the standard translations.  If I were to teach it again I'd make use of his Psalms too.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant