[Milton-L] Bible as lit

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Thu Jun 12 19:45:14 EDT 2008

.
>   I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the two
>   critical works I recommend to my Bible as Literature
>   students:
>   1.  Alter, Robert and Frank Kermode, eds.  The
>   Literary Guide to the Bible  Cambridge, Mass.:
>
>   Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1987.

Yes - mixed quality, like all anthologies, but helpful.

>   2.  Sternberg, Meir,   The Poetics of Biblical
>   Narrative: Ideological Literature and the Drama of
>   Reading. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1985)

Don't know that one - but reminds me to say a couple of good resources - collections of essays on Hebrew and Christian Scripture and likely out of print: "Congregattion" for Hebrew bible and "Incarnation" for Christian  - not for your students, but for you. editors asked poets, novelists, etc to write about books of the Bible.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant