[Milton-L] Bible as lit

Noam Flinker flinker at research.haifa.ac.il
Thu Jun 12 17:26:27 EDT 2008

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the two critical works I
recommend to my Bible as Literature students:

1. Alter, Robert and Frank Kermode, eds.  The Literary Guide to the
Bible  Cambridge, Mass.:
Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1987.

2. Sternberg, Meir,   The Poetics of Biblical Narrative: Ideological
Literature and the Drama of Reading. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1985)

Alter and Kermode have put together  a fascinating collection of very
important essays on most of the books of the Hebrew Bible (Alter) and
the New Testament (Kermode).  There are also general essays on
relations between the Bible and Canaanite literature, Greco-Roman
writing, Midrash and translation.
Sternberg is brilliant even though his style is often somewhat turgid.

I also try to appeal to students by using clips from films that make
use of biblical themes.
Noam Flinker
On Jun 12, 2008, at 5:58 PM, duran0 wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I at last have an opportunity to teach an undergraduate Bible as
> Literature course (NOT Bible AND Literature).  I was wondering if
> any of you have taken or taught such a course, and if so, if you
> wouldn’t mind emailing me your thoughts and syllabi.  I have some
> ideas but I find my courses and research turn out so much better
> with collaborative input.  All speed appreciated.  Many thanks.
>
> Adios,
>
> Angelica Duran
> Associate Professor, English and Comparative Literature
> Purdue University
> 500 Oval Drive / Heavilon Hall
> West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
> U.S.A.