[Milton-L] Why teachers retire early if they can afford it Eh...

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Thu Jun 12 10:30:09 EDT 2008

.>Everything they are taught, they imagine, should directly translate
>into a clearly identifiable job skill or knowledge base that will find
>immediate application in the world outside school.  So they understand
>education solely in vocational terms.
.

And where might they have gotten such an idea?

Colleges' and universities' very own p.r. machines would be one source.

I suspect US News and World Report's rating system, but I stopped paying any attention ot it long ago - it's totally corrupt and bogus.

And then there is our very own Sec of Education, who thinks colleges and universities should be REQUIRED to state the average starting salaries of their most recent graduating classes.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant