[Milton-L] Why teachers retire early if they can afford it

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 15:03:51 EDT 2008

I would have pointed out that 'Stan' was hardly likeable but actually rather rude, as evidenced by his abrupt departure immediately after receiving directions from the old Anarch, King Chaos:

  "Go, and speed; / Havoc, and spoil, and ruin, are my gain." / He ceased; and 'Stan' stayed not to reply... (PL 2.1008-1010)

  All that excellent advice from ol' man Chaos, who surely seems more likeable than 'Stan', yet 'Stan' rushes off without even offering even a meager "Thanks"!

  Likeability? I beg to differ...

  On a serious note, why did Satan rush off without reply? Was it rudeness? Bad manners? Lack of gratitude?

  Jeffery Hodges

"Hunt, Caroline C." <HuntC at cofc.edu> wrote:
  Last week I had coffee with a school classmate whom I had not seen since 1959. It turned out that she had spent several years teaching undergraduates, then retired early. Why?

The essay that sent her down that road, "Milton and Stan," crammed with (unacknowledged) borrowings from the WWW, extolled the essential humanity, the likeability, etc. of "Stan" for several pages. When my classmate mentioned the recurring typo to her student, he didn't see why it would bother her. "Whatever," he said.

Ah yes, good old Stan.

Caroline Hunt in Charleston, SC

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley