[Milton-L] Why teachers retire early if they can afford it

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 13:59:41 EDT 2008

My wife taught HS English this last year and forwarded this message to
me from one of her students:

*****

The final essay question on my exam was a self-assessment of what the
students learned in class, the assignments that interested them, etc.
I thought you would find this student's response humourous:

"I haven't really learned anything in English this year. Hell, I
haven't since around seventh grade. It's the most pointless subject
I've taken. And to think that this is the only subject that we have to
take four credits of? When In life who cares if you know MLA or what a
freaking stanza is. The only way you'll ever need to know this crap is
you become a English major and they become is teachers, writers, and
drankards. This is by far the most pointless subject I've ever taken
(and I've taken paranormal sciences)."

******

Except for misspelling the word "drunkard" he expresses himself well,
so I hope she told him he has indeed learned something from his
English classes :).