[Milton-L] Why teachers retire early if they can afford it

Hunt, Caroline C. HuntC at cofc.edu
Wed Jun 11 13:36:25 EDT 2008

Last week I had coffee with a school classmate whom I had not seen since 1959. It turned out that she had spent several years teaching undergraduates, then retired early. Why?

The essay that sent her down that road, "Milton and Stan," crammed with (unacknowledged) borrowings from the WWW, extolled the essential humanity, the likeability, etc. of "Stan" for several pages. When my classmate mentioned the recurring typo to her student, he didn't see why it would bother her. "Whatever," he said.

Ah yes, good old Stan.

Caroline Hunt in Charleston, SC