[Milton-L] Info request - Uncreation in PL

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Wed Jul 30 16:37:35 EDT 2008

Yaakov Mascetti,

You probably already have this from book 7:

Boundless the Deep, because I am who fill
Infinitude, nor vacuous the space.
Though I uncircumscrib'd my self retire, [ 170 ]
And put not forth my goodness, which is free
To act or not. . . .

As I understand it, God means that Chaos is/was a part of his body from
which he withdrew his reason or natural law, leaving formless sub-matter. He
(through the Son) then re-created some of this de-created matter to produce
our cosmos in book 7, about which personified Chaos complains to Satan in
book 2 as a diminution of his territory. I don¹t recall whether our cosmos
will be de-created at the end of time‹ I think resurrected humans end up in
Heaven once God is All in All. The overall process is counter-entropic, a
refinement and concentration of goodness. However, something like the 2nd
law of thermodynamics seems hinted by the downward purging of tartareous
dregs in the Creation (7), expulsion of the fallen angels (6), and sealing
of Hell (12). That is, in the concentration of goodness, disorder is
increased elsewhere.  But God has a Maxwell¹s Demon at his disposal to keep
the two factors separated, so it really isn¹t entropy. Postlapsarian history
(11,12) seems entropic (speaking by analogy, of course) until God intervenes
to turn it around.

Michael