[Milton-L] How do you like them apples...?

FLANNAGAN, ROY ROY at uscb.edu
Tue Jul 29 08:42:15 EDT 2008

What hasn't been mentioned is that the fruit itself, or the type of fruit, is what Milton called "a thing indifferent."  What IS important is "Man's first Disobedience."  I think the "apple" business is a red herring, and Satan's joking about a "mere apple" is a joke on Satan, not on God.

Treating "apple" as "fruit in general" is not important as compared with man's first disobedience.

If ikon-worshippers go after figs or apples or dogwood or Judas trees, in positive or negative iconography, I think Milton deplores the over-emphasis on a thing that has no meaning in itself.  The apple becomes an irrelevant fetish.

Roy Flannagan