[Milton-L] Apples -apple(s) in Columbia Works index-

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 12:48:52 EDT 2008

>From the Columbia Works  Index Vol.1

p. 80:

Apple, seduced with an a, II 322 (PL10.487) crude a, that diverted Eve II
436 (PR2.349) out of rind of one a. tasted IV 310 (AR) money a. of discord
in church VI 84(H).

Apples, desire of tasting a. II  281(PL9.585) like a. of Asphaltis v
263(K24) no fruit but a. and medlars XII 239 (PO6)

Perhaps more fruitful, FRUIT and FRUITS takes up a little over three
columns,   pp. 722-724

I could digitize this over the weekend if you don't have access to the

-John

There's no Foe like a BUFOe

E arth, Aire, and Sea. Then let us not think hard

O ne easie prohibition, who enjoy

F ree leave so large to all things else, and choice

U nlimited of manifold delights:

B ut let us ever praise him, and extoll

E ncompassed round with FOEs, thus answered bold.

O alienate from God, O Spirit accursed,

F orsaken of all good!  I see thy fall

E arth, air, and sea.  Then let us not think hard

O ne easy prohibition, who enjoy

F ree leave so large to all things else, and choice

E  ternal anarchy, amidst the noise

O  f endless wars, and by confusion stand.

F  or Hot, Cold, Moist, and Dry, four champions fierce,

D ear daughter-since thou claim'st me for thy sire,

A nd my fair son here show'st me, the dear pledge

O f dalliance had with thee in Heaven, and joys

T hen sweet, now sad to mention, through dire change

A nd daily thanks, I chiefly who enjoy

S o farr the happier Lot, enjoying thee

P raeminent by so much odds, while thou

S hall bruise the head of Satan, crush his strength,

D efeating Sin and Death, his two main arms;

A nd fix far deeper in his head their stings

T han temporal death shall bruise the victor's heel,

O r theirs whom he redeems; a death, like sleep,

A gentle wafting to immortal life.

N or after resurrection shall he stay

F rom my prevailing arme, though Heavens King

R ide on thy wings, and thou with thy Compeers,

U s'd to the yoak, draw'st his triumphant wheels

I n progress through the rode of Heav'n Star-pav'd.

  W  hile thus he spake, th' Angelic Squadron bright

T urnd fierie red, sharpning in mooned hornes

F rom Auran Eastward to the Royal Towrs

O f Great Seleucia, built by Grecian Kings,

O r where the Sons of Eden long before

D welt in Telassar: in this pleasant soile