[Milton-L] Apples

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Fri Jul 25 08:59:31 EDT 2008

I can't provide a comment nearly as rich and suggestive as Nancy's, but
I suppose it should be remembered that the apple is also a Latin pun on
malum.
Of course, that does not at all undermine the point about Satan's
trivialization of the matter.  Indeed, I think it supports the point
further.  Satan's depiction of the fruit as an apple happens even
earlier than when he returns to Hell to report on his success.  He
mentions the fruit when, as the serpent, he begins to entice Eve toward
the tree:

  Till on a day roaving the field, I chanc'd [ 575 ]
  A goodly Tree farr distant to behold
  Loaden with fruit of fairest colours mixt,
Ruddie and Gold: I nearer drew to gaze;
  When from the boughes a savorie odour blow'n,
  Grateful to appetite, more pleas'd my sense, [ 580 ]
Then smell of sweetest Fenel or the Teats
  Of Ewe or Goat dropping with Milk at Eevn,
Unsuckt of Lamb or Kid, that tend thir play.
  To satisfie the sharp desire I had
  Of tasting those fair Apples, I resolv'd [ 585 ]
  Not to deferr; hunger and thirst at once,
  Powerful perswaders,  quick'nd at the scent
  Of that alluring fruit, urg'd me so keene.

Speculations about the specific kind of fruit tree that was the Tree of
Knowledge can be found in both the early rabbinic and early patristic
tradition.  Many possibilities were offered, many of them based on
similar kinds of puns and word plays.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33156

(o) 305-284-5596