[Milton-L] Another Milton plaudit

Nancy Charlton pastorale55 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 02:17:52 EDT 2008

This time from the Academy of American Poets in their July newsletter. JM gets second place billing to the new Poet Laureate, but after all the Academy is devoted to moderns. The site contains a snippet from PL.I, the Argument of IV, and a few other samples. The biographical summary is excellent, and it has the distinction of being the only place on the web where you can find Johnson's essay on Milton. (At least I've never run into it online before.)

http://tinyurl.com/65yup7

Nancy Charlton

http://groups.google.com/group/paradiselostdaily

Azazel ... forthwith from the glittering staff unfurled	        535

The imperial ensign; which, full high advanced,

Shon like a meteor streaming to the wind,

With gems and golden lustre rich imblazed,

Seraphic arms and trophies; all the while

Sonorous metal blowing martial sounds:

At which the universal host up-sent

A shout that tore Hell’s concave, and beyond

Frighted the reign of Chaos and old Night. (PL I:534-543)