[Milton-L] potestas ordinata, potestas absoluta, reason, and arbitratry commands

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 21:35:28 EDT 2008

Alan Horn wrote:

"I think it is a mistake to conflate pure/impure with good/evil. Ritual hierarchy and morality are two quite different systems."

Alan, if you're referring to my posts, I've been trying not to do quite that . . . but at the same time, I don't see these as unconnected systems. Impurity, whether 'ritual' or moral, is in opposition to the holy. Purity, whether 'ritual' or moral, has some consonance with the holy. That connection is not spelled out in Leviticus . . . nor elsewhere in the Bible, so far as I can see.

Jeffery Hodges

I think it is a mistake to conflate pure/impure with good/evil. Ritual hierarchy and morality are two quite different systems.

Milton-L mailing list
Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu