[Milton-L] potestas ordinata, potestas absoluta, reason, and arbitratry commands

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 05:24:57 EDT 2008

Alan Horn wrote:

"I didn't mean to deny that Leviticus is explicit about listing what is clean and unclean. But the system behind it all -- why, for instance, among hoofed animals, only cud-chewing ones are clean--is left implicit."

In that case, I agree. Not until Mary Douglas wrote her Abominations of Leviticus did we have an explanatory system that enriched our understanding.

Jeffery Hodges

> Doesn't Leviticus 10:10 make the system of purity and impurity
explicit?

I didn't mean to deny that Leviticus is explicit about listing what is
clean and unclean. But the system behind it all--why, for instance,
among hoofed animals, only cud-chewing ones are clean--is left
implicit.

My tentative remarks about Jewish practice were in reference to the
post-biblical period, by the way.

Alan Horn