[Milton-L] potestas ordinata, potestas absoluta, reason, and arbitratry commands

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 03:19:25 EDT 2008

Jim concerning your remark:

Note the distinction is between "the holy and the common," not "the holy and the evil."

Actually, the distinction is fourfold -- holy, common, impure, and pure. The holy is a dynamic force associated with God (or an originally common thing that has been purified and set apart for God). The common (also translated "profane") is the substance of the world. The impure is a dynamic force opposed to God. The pure is characteristic of that which not contaminated with impurity.

That which is "evil" falls under the "impure" . . . in my opinion.

Thus, the New Testament refers to "impure" spirits, who are identified with evil demons. And the scapegoat of Yom Kippur in Leviticus 16 carries the impurity of the people to "Azazel," sometimes identified as an evil demon:

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=2203&letter=A&search=Lev.%20xvi.%208

As for the arbitrary command concerning the tree of knowledge, you're simply using "arbitrary" in a different sense than Professor Skulsky and me, so we're talking past each other.

Jeffery Hodges