[Milton-L] NB! CORRECTION OF PREVIOUS EMAIL!

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 22:14:14 EDT 2008

Ha...identifying "innocence" with a pre-moral state and morality with
fallenness almost sounds like Kierkegaard.

Adam and Eve are pre-moral because they do not yet have the knowledge
of good and evil, being innocent and not yet having eaten the fruit.

I'm still not sure we can say the command was arbitrary once the tree
has been said to bear the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil --
what is forbidden is not fruit, but a certain kind of knowledge -- and
perhaps we should consider the symbolism implicit in having to eat
(internalize) the fruit to gain this knowledge.  The point is that
knowledge of good and evil becomes internalized through the act of
disobedience.

I think we have to be careful about what we call Christian tradition
as well -- there's a lot more congruence between Luther, Calvin, and
Catholicism on the trinity and the incarnation than there is on free
will.