[Milton-L] potestas ordinata, potestas absoluta, reason, and arbitratry commands

Marlene Edelstein malkaruth2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 15:22:32 EDT 2008

Let me remark, humbly, that I don't believe that the command to refrain from eating from the tree of the knowledge of good & evil is unambiguously arbitrary. If God had said don't eat oranges, or don't eat bananas, that could be accepted as an arbitrary restriction (on the lines of the practice of kashrut - no reason is needed not to eat pork and lobster except that God has prohibited them - health, aesthetics and animal ethics don't come into it). But, doesn't the very name of the forbidden fruit invite a different sort of interpretation, one which sees the prohibition as a challenge or rite of passage rather than merely a test of obedience?
     Adam in Eve in PL are both curious for knowledge, and both (as the discussion on this list through the last couple of weeks demonstrates) have the aptitude for sin and an innate intimation of evil - these are the characters created by Milton, human, and on the brink of full realisation. And why shouldn't they take the final step to full humanity? They are, after all, formed in the image of God, and, as God states (Isiah 45:7) "I form the light and create darkness: I make peace and create evil: I the Lord do all these things". I quote from AV. In Hebrew, the opposition - peace/evil - is shalom/ra, with shalom perhaps better translated as harmony; in Genesis 9 the tree is of the knowledge of good - 'tov' and evil - again 'ra'. Created in God's image, and motivated by attraction to both good and evil, it was inevitable that A&E should eat that fruit. And the 'ra', which is conventionally translated as evil, is in fact a more complex concept: human
 beings are motivated by two necessary drives, 'yetzer ha-tov' - the good impulse - and 'yetzer ha-ra' - the evil impulse, but, as in Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell, they are not necessarily good and evil in the moral sense, since in this context 'tov' can signify a state of passive conformity, whereas 'ra' signifies energy, originality and endeavour - the two impulses should ideally mitigate each other.
     A conception of God as purely good is not only unbiblical, it presents Milton with an intractable problem, one that God tries to reason his way out of in Book 3 (and elsewhere) - how can God be absolved of responsibility for evil? Milton makes a poetically powerful but philosophically clumsy attempt to deal with this issue by means of the allegory of Sin & Death, which attributes the origin of sin to Satan's dawning rebelliousness. But doesn't this beg various questions?

             MRE
believe everything, believe nothing