[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Harold Skulsky hskulsky at email.smith.edu
Sun Jul 6 23:48:12 EDT 2008

"If you say that the real Eve "desires the fruit irresistibly," then you identify the Eve of Eve's dream with the real Eve, rather than saying that the dream Eve doesn't exist except as an image in Eve's dream."

If by "identify the Eve of Eve's dream with the real Eve," you mean "interpet an image in Eve's dream as standing for Eve," then I plead innocent to the charge. If you mean something else, then I'm afraid I don't know what you mean and am regrettably unable to plead to the charge at all.

In any case, I am not arguing that "the dream Eve doesn't exist EXCEPT AS an image in Eve's dream," siince I deny the existence of any such image in Eve's dream as presented by Milton, much less the existence of a dream image of Eve desiring the fruit irresistibly.

All of this falls out of my analysis of what it is for Eve to dream that XYZ is happening to her (q.v.).