[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Fri Jul 4 13:38:10 EDT 2008

On 7/3/08 8:32 PM, "James Rovira" <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote:

> point is, an unfallen A and E didn't have to be told everything, just
> to avoid the knowledge of good and evil, because whatever they desired
> was right.

Jim, now I see what you meant by the unfallen state being antinomian. I
don't think this is true for Milton's version. Adam has a desire for useless
speculative knowledge that Raphael rebukes. Eve has a desire to test her
moral strength against the Adversary that Adam correctly describes as
imprudent. In the course of the temptation, Eve discovers a desire to be
equal to or better than Adam and to become godlike through a magical
shortcut. These desires are not right in the context of Paradise Lost. They
are supposed to be checked by reason, the arbiter of right. It is by
following reason that A&E are naturally free and naturally good. And reason
by its nature follows Law; it is not antinomian. A&E's unfallen feelings and
desires are mostly good but not perfect.

Michael