[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 20:32:50 EDT 2008

Michael: I didn't mean to imply a discord between A and E's reason and
divine reason -- I think we both agree that, however "reason" is
understood, there ought to be a confluence between unfallen human
reason and divine reason.  Human capacities in either sense of the
word "reason" are working as God created them to work in this case.
The stress could fall on either "our" -- OUR reason is our law --
point is, an unfallen A and E didn't have to be told everything, just
to avoid the knowledge of good and evil, because whatever they desired
was right.  This is probably the source of the need for an external
tempter to lead them to fall.

Jeffery -- what other rules are there to be inferred that isn't summed
up by the prohibition to avoid the knowledge of good and evil?

I think once a tree has been said to communicate knowledge of good and
evil, we cannot say the command to avoid it is arbitrary.  Yes, of
course, disobedience to the command gives us this knowledge, not the
fruit itself.  But being associated with "evil" from the beginning,
it's not hard to see that this is something to be avoided.  This isn't
quite the same as me telling my teenage daughter not to go into the
basement when I'm not home.  If I call the basement the quarantine
area, suddenly it's not so arbitrary.