[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Jul 3 16:36:12 EDT 2008

Jim R,

Yes, I think JM's concept of reason is similar to the stoics', but he
wouldn't think divine and human reason are identical, the human version
being perhaps a greatly limited subset and not so strong as to avoid all
error. Obviously JM thought reason could and should "dictate" to the human
will for the fallen and unfallen alike.

I take it that the difference between reason #1 (stoic-inflected) and #2
("simply a human capacity") would turn on whether there is an objective
right/wrong (natural law) apart from God's explicit commandments and
accessible to a human reason that is itself attuned to law. Jeffery, Harold
Skulsky, and I think JM thought so. It's not clear to me whether you think
otherwise.

As Harold said, the substantial concordance between unfallen human reason
and divine reason (as embodied in natural law) seems apparent in almost
every unfallen conversation. In the discussion about needing a mate, God
tests Adam's reasoning abilities and commends them. Newborn Adam's first
thoughts form a logical sequence which leads him to the "chief good," which
is recognition of his duty to God (grateful obedience). In the first
exchange we hear between A&E, he rehearses this argument as a context for
obeying the apple command: not out of fear, but because it is right to obey
(see 4.411-39). Eve transfers this argument to her own ontological position
and, quite rationally, agrees: "O thou for whom / And from whom I was
formed. . . /. . . my guide / And head, what thou has said is just and
right, / For we to him indeed all praises owe, / And daily thanks. . ."
(4.440-45). These ideas reflect an understanding of the objectively right
order of things that is external to the humans' judgments but accessible to
them through reason.

I'm not sure how antinomianism (or which of the many variations) would apply
here. So, subject to correction -- A&E are supposed to do what they think
best, provided they have thought rationally about what is best. Christian
antinomians should do what they think best, provided they are in the Spirit
or have consulted the Inner Light. In either case there seems to be an
external norm, which is conformity to God's will -- available to A&E as
logos or reason/law.

You propose an interesting reading: "our reason is OUR law," meaning what we
have instead of law. Certainly feasible, but meter would suggest otherwise
(not militate absolutely, though). Also, lacking strong indication to the
contrary, we tend not to stress one of two repeated elements, "our-our," but
rather the contrasting elements.

Thanks for a stimulating post. I have thoughts about the unfallen knowledge
of evil, but this is enough! or too much. I bow to you on Kierkegaard and
Luther, where I'm over my head.

Michael