[Milton-L] pre-fallen knowledge of sin

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Wed Jul 2 15:08:21 EDT 2008

Knowing evil--
In addition to the two kinds of knowledge, conceptual and experiential,
there are two meanings of "evil" in early modern English, including Milton
and the KJV-- also in the underlying Hebrew so translated, or so I've read.
One is wrongness and the other is harm or unpleasantness. So the "king's
evil" is just a disease and has nothing to do with ethical or metaphysical
wrong.

Therefore, when A&E are said to know evil through the fruit, this means (a)
they experience wrongness within themselves, but also (b) they suffer.
Perhaps this is another of the Father's ironies that drove Empson crazy
("another ghastly joke").

Michael