[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 02:09:26 EDT 2008

Many thanks to Harold Skulsky and Michael Gillum for their very interesting, clear, organized, and (to me) persuasive arguments that Adam and Eve sin prior to taking the fruit. I was especially unaware of the "early modern theory of action," but it fits my view of Milton's depiction of Adam and Eve's culpability.

My only remaining question (already alluded to in an earlier post) is precisely how culpable the willfully approved thought-sin would be if the action of taking the fruit had not occurred. Death was the penalty for taking and eating the fruit, but what would the penalty have been if Adam -- after the thought-sin of willfully approving a desire to eat the fruit -- had not actually taken the fruit but had changed his mind and decided not to join Eve?

Would that sin not have been followed by death? Would it have been more easily forgiveable.

My suspicion is that Milton might have considered the occurrence of such a case impossible. Adam, already fallen into sin, necessarily follows through on his intent, for his mind is already impaired -- as we see in his reasoning after approving the desire to sin.

But I don't yet have a very good argument for this.

Jeffery Hodges

P.S. Note that my name has an unusual spelling: "Jeffery."