[Milton-L] pre-fallen knowledge of sin

Samuel Smith ssmith at messiah.edu
Tue Jul 1 20:36:06 EDT 2008

Richard,

Bk 8.39ff makes it rather clear that Eve is present to hear Raphael's
narratives about Satan's rebellion, the war in Heaven, and the Creation
before she absents herself to do a bit of gardening when Adam shifts the
conversation to the structure of the universe.  Your point holds for both
partners.  Here, courtesy of the Milton Reading Room:

So spake our Sire, and by his count'nance seemd
Entring on studious thoughts abstruse, which Eve [ 40 ]
Perceaving where she sat retir'd in sight,
With lowliness Majestic from her seat,
And Grace that won who saw to wish her stay,
Rose, and went forth among her Fruits and Flours,
To visit how they prosper'd, bud and bloom, [ 45 ]
Her Nurserie; they at her coming sprung
And toucht by her fair tendance gladlier grew.
Yet went she not, as not with such discourse
Delighted, or not capable her eare
Of what was high: such pleasure she reserv'd, [ 50 ]
Adam relating, she sole Auditress;
Her Husband the Relater she preferr'd
Before the Angel, and of him to ask
Chose rather: hee, she knew would intermix
Grateful digressions, and solve high dispute [ 55 ]
With conjugal Caresses, from his Lip
Not Words alone pleas'd her.

Cheers,

Samuel

PS (not to Richard, but to previous postings) Regarding Faustus: Compelling
arguments have been made that Faustus does not repent because he cannot
repent; he is a reprobate living in a world governed by Calvin's God, so his
damnation has been determined before the creation of the world.  His will
has nothing to do with his "choice", certainly nothing to do with his
eternal destiny; God's sovereign will determines all.

>>> richard strier <rastrier at uchicago.edu> 07/01/08 6:18 PM >>>
QUICK RESPONSE RE KNOWLEDGE OF SIN BEFORE THE FALL:

It is simply not true that "prior to the fall, there was no
sin to observe."  It is true that "Adam and Eve did not see
other people sinning," but I take it that the whole point of
Raphael's narration of the war in heaven is meant to inform
Adam (and Eve, whether or not she hears the thing directly or
indirectly) about what sin is, and in some detail. Many
negative things can be and have been said about Milton's God
(some of them by me), but that He intended to keep Adam and
Eve ignorant of sin and Satan is not one of them.