[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Jul 1 19:15:03 EDT 2008

Jim R., thanks for the clear explanation.

To begin with your last question -- and subject to correction -- I think
Milton understood regeneration as an instantaneous radical makeover, but not
with "perfect and complete results." It is also the beginning of a process.
There is an analogy in PL where God intended his unfallen humans to change
and grow more perfect. (I'm not sure how that comports with God's certain
knowledge that they would get worse instead, but that's one of the cracks
that show up when Milton starts trying to explain everything, bless his
heart.)

Now, where you and I are talking past each other is that I am persistently
denying that the forbiddance of the fruit is the only rule for A&E. It is
rather the only rule that needs to be spoken, because they already know, or
have the ability to discern, the other rules.  A&E are  subject to natural
law, which they understand through reason. Natural law says not to diddle
the wombats, among a vast multitude of other rules. The law of reason is to
live in accordance with the right ordering of things. Doing so comes
naturally for A&E because their unfallen psyches are ordered so that reason
is automatically in charge. Also Adam's reason especially is very powerful
(though not inerrant, according to him). Therefore, when Adam fails even to
consult reason at the moment of his temptation, it requires a fundamental
perversion of his nature. He must have deliberately turned off the light
switch so he could stumble in the dark.

To "approve" the temptation before acting is not to violate the special or
"positive" prohibition of the tree. Rather it is to violate the natural and
rational obligation to maintain a state of obedience toward the creator. The
Christian Doctrine says that the first function of right reason was "to
discern the chief good," meaning a right relationship with God. To decide to
eat the fruit is to break fealty and violate natural law.

Michael

On 7/1/08 5:15 PM, "James Rovira" <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael and Carol: I tried to explain these distinctions from my
> divorce example in my previous post, but perhaps I was not clear.  The
> primary distinction I see in the Genesis account is that prior to the
> fall, there was only one command, and all moral reasoning and
> principles were embodied in that command, while after the fall there
> were multiple commands, multiple principles, and far more complex
> contexts.  Furthermore, prior to the fall, there was no sin to observe
> -- Adam and Eve did not see other people sinning.

[snip]