[Milton-L] pre-fallen knowledge of sin

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 1 18:18:27 EDT 2008

QUICK RESPONSE RE KNOWLEDGE OF SIN BEFORE THE FALL:

It is simply not true that "prior to the fall, there was no
sin to observe."  It is true that "Adam and Eve did not see
other people sinning," but I take it that the whole point of
Raphael's narration of the war in heaven is meant to inform
Adam (and Eve, whether or not she hears the thing directly or
indirectly) about what sin is, and in some detail. Many
negative things can be and have been said about Milton's God
(some of them by me), but that He intended to keep Adam and
Eve ignorant of sin and Satan is not one of them.