[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 1 18:07:47 EDT 2008

At the risk of quibbling, Jim: Adam and Eve cannot be "Christian," and
neither can they govern their actions by New Testament precepts . . .
they exist long before any such concepts (or for that matter, OT
prohibitions) come into play, and cannot (retroactively) be subject to
them, any more than we can (fairly) subject Milton to Kierkegaardian
or Freudian or Jungian psychology, or to modern notions of
colonialism, or to 21st century concepts of language, law, sociology,
or morality. (Sorry to turn your own argument around on you, but there
you are, then.)

For Adam and Eve, there was one opportunity to sin: eat the fruit of
the Tree of Knowledge. Not to think about it; not to touch it; not to
examine it; not even to imagine what it tasted like, or what its
properties might be (though as fallen creatures, we recognize the
dangers inherent in all of those "engagements" with it): "In the day
ye eat thereof, ye shall surely die."

God's commandment is clear, unambiguous, and precise. Do X, and Y will
happen. Not something like X--not something that might precipitate
X--just X itself. Do Adam and Eve put themselves in jeopardy of X
before committing the actual violation? Sure. But *did they sin* by
flirting with disaster? I don't think you can say they did, given the
terms of the problem.

God said no. Purely, simply. Do I have to have seen someone else sin
to understand that concept? I don't think so.

"How can there be a division between the rule of conscience, rule of
reason, and rule of law when there is only one rule?"

Indeed.

Carol Barton